Saturday, March 19, 2011

Literacy Night

Our school has a great program that I think we only have twice a year, literacy night.  Literacy night is a night where we come together as families to the school, get read to by a special person, get a free book, free dinner and free activities.  What’s not to love??  Back in November we got to meet the man who draws the Dennis the Menace cartoons for the daily panels, Marcus Hamilton.   It was a comic themed night so the girls dressed up as Margaret, the girl in the Dennis the Menace comic.  Preston is dressed as Captain Underpants (that boy has guts to walk around the school with his undies on the outside of his pants!) and William is Superman.DSC_1091Last Tuesday was another literacy night, with a Dr. Seuss theme.  We got to see Thing 1 and Thing 2 (the principals), Horton, The Grinch and The Cat in the Hat.  The Cat in the Hat read, well, the Cat in the Hat to the kids, and each family got a copy of one of four Dr. Suess books.  Did I mention I love free things, especially free food?  We then ate some Chick-fil-a and did a few activities.  I love literacy night and I hope our school continues this fun activity!  Emma made her own Horton mask by herself.DSC_2723I don’t know what Preston is doing, but it’s funny. heehee.DSC_2726

1 comment:

Grandma Taylor said...

What fun events. I love that it promotes reading. I had a Read Across America event in my classroom. We tried Green Eggs and "Spam". We read to our stuffed animals, worked on Seuss puzzles, did word searches, drew the Cat in the Hat and of course we read, read, and read some more. It is a favorite day. We got to lay around and eat snacks too. I love it.