Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Poor little Emma


The health care system around here drives me nutty. In Seattle, I had access to a nurse hotline 24 hours a day. At BYU, if anything happens after 6 pm you are outta luck! SO FRUSTRATING!


Emma's had a fever since Monday night, we gave her tylenol that night and went to bed. In the morning her fever was only 99 so I let her go to school since she was acting ok. Fast forward to yesterday afternoon, her fever keeps climbing so I give her tylenol, it does nothing. My neighbor calls and offers to get me some motrin since Preston isn't home. I give her motrin at 8, it doesnt do anything. So when preston and i get ready for bed I decide to check her temp and it was about 103.7. Yikes! This is where I get frustrated at the lack of assistance from the student health care system. I had no choice but to take her to the ER since I couldn't get her fever down. I had no clue you could double up motrin and tylenol because I couldn't ASK ANYONE. grrrr.... They took her back right away and checked for strep throat *negative* and did a chest xray, which Emma thought was SO COOL and so did mommy, and found a little spot in her lungs. So they diagnosed her with an upper respiratory infection and we got some antibiotics and we got home at about 2 am. OH so sleepy am i! I'm hoping we can control that fever a bit more today.
By the way, they were so kind to emma and gave her a toy, which leaked all over her, hee hee, and a stuffed dog, so she was completely happy being there and didn't feel too scared. She did ask me once or twice if they were going to hurt her or have to cut her throat! Poor kids, I wonder all the time what goes through their little brains. It was funny when she first got on the bed she said, This is like the one mommy was on when she had our baby. lol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to here she made it and is getting better. Tell her we love her and give her a hug from us.