We are so happy to announce that James Michael came into the world at 9:27 pm on 9/27! He was 8 lb 7 oz and 20 inches long, our little chubby boy. He’s our biggest baby yet (perhaps a poor choice of words, this in no way implies there will be more – trust me!), and was almost 2 weeks early!
I went in for my 38 week appointment on Tuesday, and was a solid 4 cm dilated. She stripped my membranes and sent me on my way. Preston had come with me to the appointment and we decided to go to Target and take some laps around the store. It didn’t seem to do anything, so we headed home. My mom is here to help out and I decided to take her with me to the huge outlet mall to walk and try to get things going. At about 3 we got home from a whole lot of walking and I sat on the couch to rest a bit. After awhile, I noticed that I was contracting pretty regularly. The contractions didn’t hurt, but they were coming every 3 minutes. At 4, I told Preston to help me get stuff together for the hospital and that I wanted to head over to my OB’s office to get checked out before she went home for the day. Preston didn’t want me to, because he thought she would just send me home and I would be disappointed. I didn’t care if it meant there was a chance I could have the baby right then! Anyway, Dr. Meek checked me, and I had progressed to a 4-5 cm and thinned out a bit more. She said, “head up to labor and delivery, get your epidural and I’ll be up to break your water.” I was so happy!
Preston left to get Grandma and Emma while I got admitted and got all set up with IV’s and such. We had “the talk” with Emma a couple of weeks ago and then asked her if she wanted to be there when the baby was born. She did not hesitate to say YES! We explained the nitty gritty details of labor, so there were no surprises for her. I’m so glad she got to be there. My wonderful neighbor, Melissa, took care of my other kiddles while I was in labor, and we appreciate that so much! She took great care of them:) When Preston got back, they were ready to put in the epidural, and by six, the doctor came in and broke my water. This is my first labor without Pitocin or anything else, and it was cool to have my body do what it needed to on it’s own. By about 9:15, I was at 7 cm, Dr. Meek had come in to see me and the nurse had me flip again and I could feel the baby coming down. Dr. Meek offered to check me again, even though they had just done that, and I was at 8. In one or two more contractions I was complete. His head came out in one push. Preston said his eyes were wide open. lol. The cord was around his neck, so she took it off, and I pushed the rest of him out. Besides the nuchal cord, he also had a true knot in the cord! William came out with two knots. What is with my naughty boys??
Since we didn’t know the sex of the baby, it was really excited to hear “It’s a boy!” Finally! It is hard to wait 9 months for that:) I loved watching Emma’s face while he came out. She was so excited, and I’m so proud of her for being mature. I hope that she and James will share a special bond. James came out covered in vernix and didn’t cry too much, but he pinked up really well after a couple of minutes. He’s a VERY sweet baby, and we are all smitten with him. The kids cannot get enough of him, and want to hold him ALL of the time (especially William, who claims James is his baby) I’m so happy he’s here, healthy and that I’m not pregnant anymore. Recovery is going well and he nurses like a champ. We love him so much and can’t wait to get to know this sweet little boy!
Preston and I before go time. I needed to put this funky one of Preston so I could look really good! lol.
Emma’s ready to meet her little brother!
Right before he was born. I love my Emma.
So alert! His eye color is interesting. They are really dark blue with a light ring around the iris. I’m curious to see what color they’ll turn out to be.
I know this is kind of gross, but here’s the knot in his cord. This means when he was a lot smaller, he had to kind of do a loop, then swim his way through it!
He and I both love this way of snuggling.
We kept the kids home from school in the morning so that they could all meet the baby. None of the other three knew that he was a boy yet when they came in, so we had them guess. Preston said, “I think he’s a boy, because his hat is blue.” Evelyn said, “I think it’s a girl, because it’s wearing a hat!” lol. I had to break it to her that it was a boy, and it took her a minute to let it sink in, but she is in love. They are all so proud to have their new baby home.
The new Taylor family:)
I had to demonstrate how flexible his little feet are. His toes can bend all the way over and touch his leg. I know it won’t stay this way, but it is still kind of neat.





I had to take a picture of this. Evelyn and William were snuggled up on the sac with James.

15 comments:
Ahhhh don't make me baby hungry! He is so precious. That is just crazy about your "knotty" boys. And it's so awesome that Emma got to be there, what an amazing memory for her to have!
Oh, congrats! he is so cute and what a surprise. I didn't even expect to see that on your blog. He does seem big. In the going home picture I don't even think he looks like a newborn. He has the chubby face of a few weeks old baby. Let me know if you want any hats or anything for pictures.
Oh my gosh. I want to hold your baby. So cute! Congrats!
James is so cute. He totally looks like he belongs in the family. You always make labor look so easy! You look way too good! We're excited to see him and get some newborn snuggles. I had fun putting together a little package for James today so watch for that soon.
Congrats! He is adorable . . .glad all went well.
Hooray for you that you aren't prego anymore! That is the BEST feeling ;)
And I'm so excited that it's a boy (even though I know you were hoping for a girl) because I just think William especially will have the best time having a little brother so close in age! He's adorable!
I've been sewing away...as soon as I found out what you had I took a trip to Hobby Lobby. :)
You all look great. Just imagine if you had gone another 2 weeks. You might have had a 10 lb baby boy. Matt was my early child and the biggest. Thank you for the pictures. So good. Yes,James has the butt-chin.Hope it won't be too long until I can hug him and all the grand kids. Rebecca, get all the rest you can while your Mom is there.
Oh, Becky...
So wonderful...
Congratulations Becky!!!! you look so good. It is always fun having a new baby, minus the lack of sleep, but sooooo worth it.
congratulations Rebecca, he is beautiful!!
He is gorgeous!!! And awesome pics! Congratulations!
You have WONDERFUL photos! I think it's so neat that your DD got to be there for the birth, mine are too young to go into the room. Congrats again :).
CONGRATULATION!!! He is adorable. Just looking at him makes me think it might be okay if our next one happens to be a boy. :)
Proud grandma Rita sent me the pictures. He is beautiful and so cute with his chubbiness. The pictures are awesome. Congrats to you and your family
Linda in az
Congratulations! He's beautiful and that's really neat that Emma got to be there.
Post a Comment